Think about this, even though it may gross you out when you do – how long has your makeup been sitting in your makeup bag or box? If you’re like most women, you probably have no clue.
Well, that makeup might be older than it should be, and it could be time to throw that crap out. How long can you keep your makeup?
- Mascara only lasts about three months
- Pencil eyeliner lasts for roughly two years, but liquid/gel eyeliner only lasts three months
- Lip gloss should really be tossed after about 18 months
- Lipstick and lip liner is only good about a year
- Blush, eye shadow and bronzers that are powder can last up to two years, but creamed stuff? That should go after a year
- Oil-free foundation and concealers – toss after a year
Another way to know it’s time to get rid of your makeup is if you have recently had any kind of infections, if it smells funny or looks different, or if it suddenly feels weird on your skin.
Is it time for you to toss some of your makeup? Not doing so could lead your skin to become irritated, or worse infected. It could also just look cakey or not cover your face very well.
Going forward you may want to add a label to your new makeup to know how old it is. You can add a little piece of painters tape or a sticker to the bottom of your make up containers, and mark with a Sharpie the date you opened them. This can help you determine whether or not it’s time to let it go.