As I mentioned a couple of days ago on the blog, my husband and I are trying to save some money by committing to eat at home more than we ever have before. That is what is prompting the food recipes that you’ll likely start seeing here on my site.
One thing that is pretty inexpensive to cook is chicken. And, we have a wide variety of things that we use chicken with. Chicken and yellow rice, chicken fajitas, chicken salad… I could go on all day.
Today I want to share this recipe for easy oven roasted chicken. Once you have a base recipe, the possibilities of what you could do with it are endless. You could tweak the sauce a bajillion different ways to pair it with any number of side dishes, or just eat the stuff as is because it’s so packed with flavor, you might be tempted to…
Here’s how to make it:
This post may contain affiliate links that provides this blog with a small commission if you purchase through them, at no additional cost to you. Thanks for your support!
Easy Oven Roasted Chicken
What You Will Need:
- About 2 pounds of assorted chicken cuts. Use thigh, wings and drumsticks for best flavor.
- Brine solution: 2 cups water, 1 heaped tablespoon rock salt, 1/3 cup brown sugar
- Roast rub: 1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper, 3 tablespoons paprika , 1/3 cup brown sugar, 1/4 cup bacon drippings or plain olive oil, 1 tablespoon dried oregano, and 1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes for extra heat.
- Prepare the chicken and the ingredients for the brine mixture first.
- Combine brine solution ingredients and mix thoroughly until all the sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour over the washed up and cut chicken pieces, and let stand in the refrigerator for an hour up to overnight.
- Once the chicken has spent some time in the brine solution and you are ready to roast it, gather the ingredients for the roast rub.
- Drain the chicken and place it in a big bowl or container. Pour the roast rub ingredients into this bowl or container.
- Massage the roast rub mix unto the chicken until all pieces are coated. Transfer to a roasting dish or pan, taking care to place the chicken pieces skin side down.
- Pour the extra roast rub mixture over the chicken and roast in a preheated oven at 400°F for 12-15 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and flip the chicken pieces so that the skin side is now up. Return to the oven for another 10 minutes.
- Perfectly roasted! Allow to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, rice, a salad, or just on its own! This dish is even better the following day. Just make sure to save the drippings for gravy or something to coat the chicken with if reheating. This recipe is good for 5-6 people.