Add flair to your boxed cakes by adding ingredients into the mix. Check out this boxed cake remixed post for some ideas to uplevel your boxed cake.
Now, if you’ve never thought to do a box cake remixed, you’re not alone. I personally can’t believe of all the things I add extra flair to, I never thought to church up a boxed cake mix.
You see – one thing my husband and I love to do is add different things to pre-packaged items to give it some flair. After hearing Collen Ballinger refer to this practice as “churching it up,” we started doing the same thing.
Remixing or altering recipes adds a little something special to the otherwise status quo.
A common thing we do this with is frozen pizza. We buy the cheapo pizzas and then church them up with extra pepperoni and cheese and whatever else tickles our fancy. Recently though, I learned about churching up boxed cake mix. Say what?!?
Here’s the first boxed cake remix I’m sharing – Orange Vanilla Cake.
I think you will find the additions are damn tasty! I’ll add more ideas to this post as I learn about them
Orange Vanilla Cake – Boxed Cake Remixed
- 1 box vanilla cake mix
- 1 cup orange juice
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup oil
- 2 boxes vanilla instant pudding (3.5 oz each)
- 2 cups milk
- 1 oz Grand Marnier or orange extract
- 1 8 oz container of Cool Whip – thawed
- 1 tbsp orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Spray 2 round cake pans with non-sticking spray for baking
- Mix the cake mix, orange juice, eggs and oil for approx 2 – 3 minutes until thoroughly mixed. You can do this by hand or with a mixer.
- Pour the cake batter evenly into your cake pans and bake according to box directions.
- Cool in a wire rack before inverting and removing from pans.
While cakes are baking prepare the frosting.
- Whisk milk and pudding mix until the pudding begins to get thick. Add the Grand Marnier (or orange extract) and mix.
- Then fold the Cool Whip and orange orange zest.
- Place the frosting in the fridge to set for about at least an hour.
- When the cake has cooled completely, remove the dome of the cakes so they are leveled with a serrated knife, if you would like, this will allow it to sit a bit more level but it is not required.
- Place one of the cakes on the serving plate or platter. Spread about 1/4 of the frosting on the cake. Make sure it covers all the surface of the cake, add more if needed.
- Top with the second cake.
- Use the remaining frosting to coat the top and sides.
- Decorate with orange slices or strawberries if desired.
- Keep refrigerated until ready to enjoy.
Additional Ideas for a Boxed Cake Remix
- Take a plain yellow, chocolate or white cake and add your favorite nuts
- Add coconut to your frosting
- Add a splash of your favorite liquor to a yellow, chocolate or white cake mix and then repeat with the frosting.
- Throw in chocolate chips to your favorite cake mix
- Get really wild and add nuts and chocolate chips!