Garages have a tendency to become a catch all for things that don’t have a home elsewhere. It quickly can become a cluttered mess ad a place that you can no longer use it for its intended purpose, keeping your vehicle.
Because you don’t often spend much time in your garage and it’s a place that you tend to come and go it’s not a wonder that it can become the catch all for so many things and quickly turn into a cluttered mess. It doesn’t have to be that way though.
It can be a great place for storage of the proper items while also still being a place that you can park your car overnight. Here are tips for garage organization and storage.
* Zones. The garage is a multi-purpose room of your home so to speak. Its primary function is to store your vehicle, but you also probably keep yard supplies or gardening tools in there, bicycles, outdoor toys for kids, and maybe this is even where the laundry is located in your home. So to really organize this area you need to divide things into zones.
* If you are storing your vehicle in the garage (as you most likely are) then you need to be aware of how much clearance you need to be able to give yourself so that your vehicle can safely fit inside your garage and you’ll still be able to close the door.
You’ll want to make sure that you mark off on the floor with some tape where the end of your car has to go so you don’t end up finding that you can’t fit your car in the garage when all is said and done.
* Use freestanding units where you can. Metal cabinets are a nice way to store things especially if you want it out of sight.
* Shelves hung on the wall or shelving units themselves to put large and small storage bins on are a good storage solution in your garage.
* Flooring space might not be at a premium in your garage, especially when you park your car in there. This is why you must make good use of the walls and ceiling of the garage for storage.
Adding hooks and pegboards to the ceiling and walls will provide useful additional storage for gardening tools, bikes, and multiple other items. This will keep everything in its place.
* Don’t forget about the corners. You can really use a lot of storage space in the garage if you remember that you can put things in the corners.
When you begin the project of organizing the garage space and storing items, make sure you recognize what space you actually have to use to store your items. You might have to get creative in what you do. It also will be good to do some decluttering before you start.
No sense in trying to store things that are broken or that you are never going to use. If you get an idea of exactly what you need to store in the garage before you start it will go a long way to helping you fully utilize all of the space you have in your garage.